Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5 months old: already traveled to another country!

5 months old and the boys have had their first long road trip to Mexico. They visited the beach for the first time, had a great time with their Tios and Tias and their Abuelita. It was a great trip. I was so impressed with the boys, they traveled so well.

To all the people wondering if Mexico is a safe place to go, we went through the Nogales/Arizona border and didn't have any problems. The trip was as simple as pie and we went all the way to Hermosillo and then to Bahia de Kino. There wasn't any random stops or anything that looked suspicious.

So I have a few things that I have used and have liked a lot, I also want to mix things up a bit and let you know about something I didn't like..I wasn't going to actually do that, but I have to complain about one item.

Just a quick update on how my boys are doing, they are starting to get their knees up to crawling position and rock back and forth, which is pretty exciting to watch. They are also giggling up a storm, which I love. I love being a Mom. I never thought I would say that. Before I had kids, I was one that was never going to have kids. I thought I wouldn't be a good Mom or that my life would change too much. Well my life has changed completely, but I love the change. I think I am doing ok in the Mom department as well. But I know I have so much to learn.

Okay on with this months recommendations of great baby gear!
1. Car seat strap covers. So one item I did find that is a must for babies and traveling is the car seat strap covers. I learned that as they get bigger the strap start to rub on their poor little necks. So these covers protect them from all the irritating rubbing from the straps. Plus they love to snuggle with them and chew on it.

2. Fisher Price Travel Swing. Another item I have found that has been great is the Fisher Price Zoo two in one travel swing. So far this very compact swing has traveled to Mexico with us and we also use it now every day as a bouncer and napping swing. I have recently tried another travel swing that I have to say, wasn't reliable. We got two of the Cosco Brand fold up swings and both have already fizzled out. We got them in March and after using them a couple times we found that they ate batteries very quickly and one of them fused out and is no longer in service, which is why we bought the Fisher Price swing. I am VERY happy with it and it was the same price as the Cosco brand swings. The Fisher Price swing has a lock clip so the seat stays in place while placing your baby in the swing, it has a vibration motor, has nice music, and a multi level swing speed. It also has a cute Rhino and baby Rhino dangling from a palm leaf. This swing is great. I was worried that my baby was too heavy for it, he's pushing 17 lbs. But he swings great in it and the swing doesn't act like its going to die...like the Cosco brand swings....2 Thumbs up for Fisher Price Brand!!

3. Kangaroo packs. My husband and I love to take our boys for a walk and soon we will be hiking with them as well. My brother in law and sister in law got us two of those Kangaroo back packs that can be in front or back. We have the Infantino carriers. It was good for when the babies were newborn 0-3 months and on up. Made it very easy to go shopping, walking, even out to eat! They are pretty easy to put on and very secure for your baby. A must for an active family!

4. Munchkin Arm & Hammer Diaper Pail. So if you aren't wanting to spend a bunch of money on a Diaper Genie, get the Munchkin Diaper pail. I have one and it is great! The diapers I put in there should be knocking out the neighborhood, but this inexpensive, little pail keeps the neighborhood safe and all horrible smells inside. When your pail is full (takes 2-3 days with twins, to fill it) you snap up the garbage bag and take it away. The pail is easy to use and conveniently sized so it doesn't take much room. Also it doesn't have a motor and is extremely light!

5. Entertainment Saucer. My husband and I picked up an entertainment saucer at our local Once Upon A Child and it was worth every penny. (which wasn't many)...They LOVE that thing. My guys love looking at all the animals, chew on the toys, spins the spinny rattle and jumps with excitement! Entertainment saucers are teethers, entertainers, exercisers, learning tools, and a feeding chair all in one! It really doesn't matter which one you get, because all of the ones I have seen are pretty similar. Babies love these gadgets. I started my guys in them at 4 months, some say not to start them in them so soon. But I don't see why not, personally. All they needed was a towel around them to keep them upright.

Well there are my 5 must haves for this stage. Being a Mom/ Parent is a lot of work. Trying to find what is best for your baby can be sometimes stressful. What is better, what isn't worth your money. What are other Mothers/ Parents recommending...are all questions I have had. So I am sure you have too if you are a first time Parent. Or maybe a second time parent wanting to try something new! I enjoy giving my take on the items I have used with my twin boys. I hope that it will help you in your shopping efforts in the future.
Hope you come back and take a look at what my boys are enjoying and comment if you have any suggestions or warnings!
Until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment